Questionable Rumor About George Lucas Returning to 'Star Wars' Along With JJ Abrams


The latest Star Wars rumors indicate that original Star Wars creator George Lucas could very well be returning to his beloved franchise, following the potential exit of Kathleen Kennedy. This latest bit of information pertains to a rumored "civil war" happening at Lucasfilm.

These "leaks" have been reported by Doomcock, from the Overlord DVD YouTube channel, who has reported Star Wars leaks in the past. One of the reports included now-proven theories about the plot of The Rise of Skywalker. Back on November 1, 2019, he put out a video about how The Rise of Skywalker ends. However, this information had already made its way onto Twitter on the days preceding his video. So one should not be so quick to believe that Doomcock is a reliable source no matter what they report. Doomcock tends to pass on rumors and say that they should be taken with a grain of salt, and also says that they come from a source or a source of a source.

After the first trailer for The Rise of Skywalker came out in April 2019, Doomcock reported via "sources" that Palpatine's return would be in the form of a hologram. While this seems to have been an idea in the Duel of the Fates script from when Trevorrow was attached to Episode IX, this did not end up being the end result in The Rise of Skywalker. Doomcock has also more recently "reported" that the sequel trilogy will be deleted and reset. This sounds like it would be difficult to do with Carrie Fisher gone and Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford feeling finished with working on Star Wars. Why even bother remaking a trilogy when newer stories could be pursued? The claim sounds as outrageous and impractical as the rumor reported by Doomcock that at least 75% of The Rise of Skywalker would be reshot two months before the film's release.

According to Doomcock's "sources," Kathleen Kennedy is already on the out, and she and Disney have "come to an arrangement." While specifics are not known, Doomcock says that "it appears that Kathleen Kennedy has or will be surrendering her role as the head of Lucasfilm and leaving the flaming wreckage of Star Wars behind." 


Doomcock claims that sources point to Kennedy's rumored impending exit being tied to the apparent cut of The Rise of Skywalker which George Lucas put together. According to Doomcock and his alleged sources, "Disney is deeply unhappy with how Star Wars has underperformed under Kennedy's leadership and they resolve not to renew her contract in 2021." Under this hypothetical scenario, Disney bigwigs saw the "Lucas Cut" and were deeply troubled, stating that they felt like Disney lost an enormous amount of money by releasing Abrams' cut of the film instead of Lucas'. Doomcock says, "They blame Kennedy for the decision to shelve the Lucas Cut, so they decided to apply pressure to possibly get Kennedy out even sooner than 2021 and recruit George Lucas to save the day." 

The mention of a "Lucas Cut" is sure to raise some eyebrows. While JJ Abrams did meet up with George while making Episode IX and talked with him about such topics as the Force, the idea that Lucas filmed or edited any of The Rise of Skywalker does not hold any water. According to Doomcock's sources, Lucas posited four conditions when asked what it would take to come back to Star Wars:

#1: He gets to make his own sequel trilogy.
#2: He gets full creative control until he decides.
#3: Kathleen Kennedy is gone.
#4: Disney agrees to never ever mess with the original trilogy, leaving it untouched.

These conditions also seem pretty questionable, especially regarding Lucas' relationship with Kennedy. After all, Lucas was the one who originally brought Kennedy to Star Wars. He thought that she was a good choice for being put in charge of Lucasfilm. The relationship would have had have shifted and changed over the past several years. With Lucas pretty much retired, it seems pretty doubtful that he would want to spend time working on his own sequel trilogy, especially with past experiences regarding fan backlash.

Nevertheless, Doomcock goes on to say that Kennedy is potentially joining J.J. Abrams' production company, Bad Robot, and that she might be leaving Lucasfilm in order to create a production company of her own that is more female-centric and may or may not be connected to Bad Robot. Doomcock also posited theories that Jon Favreau would join Lucasfilm leadership under Lucas, in charge of Disney+ content, and that a third person might be enlisted to head up specifically the film production side of the company.

While Disney and Lucasfilm are ever-changing, especially when it comes to the handling of Star Wars, one should not be so quick to believe every single rumor that Doomcock reports. Over the last few years, we have seen how YouTube has become a hub for users who just want to "bond" with others over sequel trilogy hate. Whenever you hear these rumors, question the intentions and history of the person reporting them.


Comments